Welcome to our summary of September awareness & fundraising for Invest in ME Research. Thanks to everyone supporting this amazing small charity’s big cause!
* Stacy Hart started September with another of her legendary competitions to help raise awareness of the Let’s Do It for ME campaign for Invest in ME Research. Thanks to Stacy and congratulations to the winners! The next competition will be for Christmas and is hosted on our Facebook page.
* It was a wonderful surprise to hear from James Wythe, whose family had raised £3,000 as a matching donation towards our initial fundraising target of £100,000 for the foundation study of the Invest in ME Research on the role of the gut microbiome in ME. After falling seriously ill in 2010, during a slow (ongoing) process of recovery, James developed a special interest in nutrition and shared the link to his great new website Healthy Living (not ME-specific).
* Penny Hooper has been busy doing some creative thinking of ways to earn money and seek sponsorship to travel Round the World for ME next year to raise awareness and funds for Invest in ME Research – justgiving.com/fundraising/Penelope-Hooper
* Bill Clayton posted, “Having opened the Just Giving page for the York ME Inter Company Fantasy Football League, I’ve been taken aback that others have very kindly used it to donate to Invest in ME Research. Big thanks to Paul Kayes and Nick Barstow for your kind donations that will help support this very worthy cause. It means so much to me as someone who hates asking for help!” justgiving.com/fundraising/The-York-ME-Community
* Michaela Hood did the Great North Run for Invest in ME Research. She wrote, “Please help me raise as much money as possible for this charity close to my heart!!” justgiving.com/fundraising/Michaela-Hood
* Nicola De Boo celebrated her 30th birthday by raising £760 for Invest in ME. www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Nic-De-Boo
* Makayla Nunn turned 13 years old – and did a 4ft jump with horse Tommy for Invest in ME! Makayla’s fundraising is also being generously supported by Pooch Pageant for fundraising. justgiving.com/fundraising/Makayla-Nunn2
* New to Make ME Crafts and timely for seasonal wear or gifts, Twistie Stitchuations is knitting for ME! A colourful selection of wristies and throws, all knitted by hand from soft acrylic, with 50% profits to Invest in ME Research, amounting to £40 from sales in September.
* Launched in August and another ideal option for personalised gifts, Five Portions Of.. is a novel enterprise with profits donated to Invest in ME Research.
* Invest in ME Research supporters were among protesters either attending in person or represented by shoes at Millions Missing protests which took place in several cities around the world on 27th September to demand health equality, treatment and research for ME. A photo taken by Mike Harley at the Bristol Demonstration was used for a report by ITV News Westcountry.
* Thanks everyone who kindly voted for Invest in ME (Research) in the JustGiving Charity of the Year Awards (voting closed 28th September) and to Tom Kindlon for his kind nomination in the Wego Health Awards.
Asking friends to vote for Invest in ME, Jonathan Eyre wrote,
‘With the spirit of a million these few people have raised hope in the hearts for thousands, a fight for the forgotten and marginalised and the possibility of a cure for a forgotten disabilitating life destroying disease.’
* Invest in ME Research posted that they are very pleased to have distributed the IIMEC11 conference DVD to 20 countries already. “Some have been distributed by our friends abroad to people in positions of government and healthcare who have influence regarding ME policies.” investinme.eu/IIMEC11.shtml#dvd
* The charity also announced that registration is now open for their 12th Invest in ME Conference (IIMEC12) on 2nd June 2017. Their 7th Biomedical Research into ME Colloquium (BRMEC7) will again take place over the two days before the public conference, 31st May-1st June. Keep up with news here.
Upcoming in October
1st – 31st October – Give it Uptober – invite friends and family to give up a small luxuryand donate the money saved to Invest in ME Research –
1st October – 1st of the month – the day to Donate £1 to Invest in ME Research
1st October – a stand to raise awareness of M.E. outside Next, in the St Nicholas arcade, Lancaster. There will be information about the illness, the local support group and campaign for research by Invest in ME.
2nd October – Nicole Mardon’s Cardiff Half Marathon –
2nd October – Mike Harley’s Brussels Marathon – justgiving.com/fundraising/mikeseumarathons
6th October – Gemma Warren’s Great Birmingham Run –
* FREE DELIVERY until the end of October plus 20% off 10 or more cards on Phoenix Trading stationery shop Cards 4 Invest in ME with profits to Invest in ME Research.
* Shop on Etsy at ME2UDezignz for hand-crafted jewellery with profits to Invest in ME Research.
Our monthly updates blog will take on a new format with a newsletter version to download or print in pdf format, which we plan to post at the start of the month. You can subscribe to receive our blogs by email at the link below.
Thank you for your support!
— Jan Laverick ♿ (@Jan_MyE) September 5, 2016